The Healthier Option


So I'm lying in bed today, sick with a runny nose, very sore cough and a throbbing headache, wondering where it came from? I have not been in contact with anyone sick, it just hit me from left field! While I was thinking about ways to boost my immune system again, it slowly dawned on me that I was abusing my body again! I do not get enough sleep ("I'll sleep when I'm dead" only worked when I was a teenager) and I have been naughty by introducing sugar back into my diet again, slowly, but increasingly, and as you all know, sugar is really a killer in more that one way.*

So here are a few tips that I always find very helpful on my road to recovery. Hopefully it will help you so that you don't end up in bed like me, and keep your immune system up at all times:

1. Stress less - To combat stress, which totally depletes all the minerals in the body, exercise regularly. (I hate it I know, but it is also good for combating osteoporosis, insulin resistance etc)

2. Drink freshly squeezed lemon juice in water, or I just add it to salad dressings. It helps maintain the body's pH balance which supports healthy bacteria, instead of the viruses and harmful bacteria which thrive in more acidic environments.

3. Get a full night's sleep. Sleep has been linked to balanced hormone levels (including human growth hormone and the stress hormone, cortisol), keeping weight down, clear thinking and reasoning, improved mood, and vibrant, healthy skin.

4. Eat protein. Protein is a building block for a healthy body, mind, and immune system. If you don't eat red meat, fish is even better. Even vegetarians have options like nuts for protein etc. In fact, you can get more protein from the plant family, than from animal products. Spirulina is an excellent source.  Diets low in protein tend to be high in carbs which convert readily to glucose, spiking blood sugar and stressing the pancreas and the immune system!

5. Drink plenty of water. This is a given for so many reasons! Drink at least 1,5 litres a day. Headaches and thirst are both signs of dehydration. Try and drink spring water, rather than prepared water, but check out the label for TDS (poisons) which has to be below 100, and a ph between 4-8.

6. Stop drinking coffee & eating chocolate. They are two of the worst things you can do for your immune system and your health. Caffeine robs your body of minerals and vitamins, and it dehydrates you. I agreed to stop chocolate, and Gary agreed to stop coffee, so between the two of us we are ok ;-)

7. If you do only one thing to boost your immune system, eliminating * refined sugar will do the trick. You will see noticeable results in your energy levels, weight distribution, immunity and your ability to think clearly when you break the cravings and stop eating refined sugar. These are things like cake, pasta, bread and muffins. Avoid artificial sweeteners; they are even worse than cane sugar. (Don't get me started on Alzheimer's!)  Sugar destroys your arteries, cancer feeds on it, promotes tooth decay, the ageing process and diabetes. It also blocks protein absorption and breaks down your immune system.

8. Stock up on raw fruits and vegetables. The nutritional content that you receive from raw fruits and veggies is unparalleled. Many vitamins, fibres & enzymes, are anti-oxidants and will protect cells - including those of your immune system - from damage by toxins in the environment. Dark-coloured produce (berries, kale, broccoli) tends to be higher in flavonoids, polyphenols and other antioxidants. Buy organic where you can. They are just soooooo much richer in minerals and trace elements.

9. Nurture yourself. Make sure you take time to yourself, spend some time with friends, and indulge yourself in a massage, a hot bath, an energy work session when you want one, and prayer. Our bodies respond to our emotions - if you're feeling harassed and anxious, it can manifest in a sore throat or a cold. 


I feel better already! Have a healthy happy day.




With inspiration from notes by Anisman-Reiner & Rawliscious

No comments:

Post a Comment