The Manna and Quail Principle

For years I jokingly said that I am definitely not a "manna and quails" type of person. Yes, I have to admit, I am a bit of a control freak. I am referring here to the Bible story where God provided food for the Israelites on a daily basis, and they were not allowed to collect more than a days worth of food at a time. 

The lesson to be learnt here, is that you can only concern yourself with today. If you got through today, that is enough. Trust God for the rest. I always thought of myself as someone with faith, and that hard work always pays off in the end. Having a business and being responsible for the welfare of a lot of people, I always make plans and think of every scenario ahead, consider opportunities and threats, and basically plan the whole year up front. It is the responsible thing to do, right? 


For years this approach worked for me, and for years I thought you don't need to be a manna and quail type of person. This year though, I have learnt a very valuable lesson, and it not only strengthened my faith, it made my faith unconditional! 

Our business was doing very well, and I have secured so many contracts, that we didn't need to get any work in for a year and a half! Now that is great planning... All new contracts coming in, will just be a bonus. I am doing great, I have a happy(ish) marriage, I am healthy, the business is taken care of, and this is going to be a great year. 


Then the unimaginable happened. I had a miscarriage, a few months later I got a very sudden divorce, and I lost every single business contract I had lined up for the year, due to a collapse in our local economy - yes, I am very aware that this is statistically impossible, but it happened regardless. 


“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.” - Woody Allen


Suddenly my whole life was lying in disarray before me like a shattered house of cards. Things got very difficult, stressful and blurry for me, and I had difficulty seeing anything positive in this situation. I was traumatised and paralysed by my fear of the unknown, and completely out of plans. 

I remember coming home one night and saying to God "thank you for helping me make it though today". It soon it became a daily thing, and I meant it! I realised the value of just getting though a day, one day at a time, and just like that, I got through the first month! At my weakest point I realised that I do not need to be strong! The Bible says: "My power is made strong in your weakness." 


I realised there and then that I HAVE to become a manna and quail type of person. It is a command, not an option. This principle is important, because it keeps you focussed on today, it keeps you moving (picking up food), and  it takes your stress and worries away, because you have to live in the now, not in the future. Very healthy and practical indeed.


I am still in the midst of this storm, but everyday I witness little miracles and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I trust God to provide for us, despite our circumstances, despite my mindset, and despite the economy. But what I also know, is that He holds my life in His hand, and He will work things out the way it is supposed to be. 

God has a flawless track record. He has NEVER failed me, and I know He wont start now.


No comments:

Post a Comment